Visit my sales sites and feel free to leave your friendly comments -- or just say HI! thanks, Cathy

C Wright Art Gallery on Facebook --

mystore4u on Ebay for cool deals on clothes, shoes and more --
Listia --trading spot -- http://www.listia.com/signup/82344

I try to post all things new for my many sites on Twitter --it is my new bulletin board http://twitter.com/mystore4u

My sales page for everything -- www.facebook.com/CathysOnlineSales




Saturday, February 4, 2012

Homemade Polymer Clay



Homemade Polymer Clay

At different points over the last few years I've played around with different
kinds of homemade "clay." My favorite is a polymer clay also known as cold
 porcelain. Its main ingredients are cornstarch and white PVA or Elmer's glue.
I like it because it's smooth and a little bit elastic to work with and dries
 extremely hard. It's also relatively non-porous so it takes paint really well.
And it doesn't degrade over time like baker's clay or salt clay does.
I've used it to cover blown-out chicken eggs for Christmas ornaments, as
well as to make various and sundry bowls, boxes and pendant blanks,
 among other things.

 

But it took awhile to get the recipe right. Most of the ones I found online
resulted in a compound that was way too sticky to work with. So I
experimented with different proportions of glue and cornstarch and the
inclusion/exclusion of various secondary ingredients. What follows is
the fruit of my experimentation. Lucky you!




Materials


3/4 cup white glue
1 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons mineral oil (I used baby oil but reportedly even vaseline
will work)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Non-stick pot
Wooden spoon
Steps
Add cornstarch to glue in a nonstick pot. Mix together and then add
 mineral oil and lemon juice. Blend well.




Cook over low flame stirring pretty much constantly (you can take a
quick break or two if your arm gets tired, which it will) until the mixture
 resembles mashed potatoes.







Remove from heat! Squirt a little additional mineral oil around the top
of your mashed potato mass and with your hands, remove it from
 the pot. Knead until smooth. It's best to do this while it's still as
 hot as you can handle.




Pull off a bit to work with and put the rest in a re-sealable plastic
bag with the top about half-way open until it's cooled down a bit.
Then seal the bag (with as little air in it as you can) and store in the
 fridge.



Let dry about 2-3 days, then paint, or not.


thanks for this article from ---
 http://thenewnew.blogspot.com/2011/06/homemade-polymer-clay.html

No comments: